[GRASS-user] r.los behavior and computation

Julien-Charles Lévesque levesque.jc at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 15:04:10 EST 2011

Hi,

I am curious as to how the r.los module computes it's visibility exactly. I
dug in the code a little bit, but I found it to be hard to read, so I am
asking on this mailing list.

I know that r.viewshed is going to compute visibility using gradients (given
a point q and a viewpoint v, q is visible if the gradient from q-to-v is the
maximum of all point's gradients on the way to v from q), but that doesn't
seem to be the case for r.los. Is there a quick simple explanation of how it
works? It's not in the documentation...

thanks a lot!
Julien-Charles Lévesque