[GRASS-user] wave energy model

Andy Wickert wickert at colorado.edu
Sat Jul 2 04:31:10 EDT 2011

Some advice for getting / compiling SWAN:

You should definitely be able to build SWAN by yourself; it may take a
little while, but compiling code is a good skill to know. My best advice is
to slowly step through the directions (see the links that I gave you) to
first run the perl script to make the code settings right for your system
and then go through the actual compilation / installation. Google is also
your friend; chances are, if you search for something about a problem you
are having, someone else has had it too and the answer is online.

I'm not sure what mac comes with in terms of compilers / interpreters for
programming languages, so you may have to download a Fortran compiler and/or
Perl. I'm guessing that you'll have some version of Perl on your computer
already, but probably not Fortran (gfortran is good, as Hamish and I suggest
earlier). Same advice as above: when you're lost, Google is your friend.

Best of luck!

Andy