[GRASS-user] Ubuntu and Grass - which versions/combinations?

Paulo van Breugel p.vanbreugel at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 04:02:13 EDT 2011

Hi Sharon,

GRASS version 6.4 rc6 is in the repository, so installing GRASS should be
very easy. Just open the Ubuntu software center and search for GRASS (you
probably want to install the optional packages listed too. (BTW, I would go
for the latest Ubuntu or alternatively for the latest long-term supported
version, check the Ubuntu page for more details).

I have compiled GRASS myself (6.4.1 and 7, which you can install both),
mainly because at the time I started to use it on Ubuntu, the GRASS version
in the repositories was rather old. Moreover, it allows greater control over
how GRASS is setup. And although initially a pain, when set up and all
dependencies are installed, subsequent updates are easy.

It is still not the most recent release, but if you want to use the latest
stable release (6.4.1), you don't have to compile it yourself. You can just
add a PPA, which makes installing the latest stable version fairly simple
too. I don't know how familiar you are with Ubuntu and the use of software
sources, but have a look at https://launchpad.net/~grass/+archive/grass
-stable <https://launchpad.net/%7Egrass/+archive/grass-stable>.

Cheers,

Paulo