[GRASS-user] I'm in a hole and want to stop digging

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Jul 27 09:28:03 EDT 2011

On Wed, 27 Jul 2011, Richard Chirgwin wrote:

> So - the pg database server is a local server?

Richard,

   Yep.

> If I understand you correctly, here is what is happening:
>
> g.copy vector=map at PERMANENT,map
>
> Grass-GIS can copy the map (ie topology etc) fine, because there's no clash.
> But if a table called "map" already exists in the database, the copy fails.

   Aha! If this is documented in one of the 6.5 manual pages I totally missed
reading it.

> My approach - I use MySQL but don't see why this would not work in pg - is to
> associate a schema to a mapset. So if I want PERMANENT and Project, over in
> MySQL I might run:
> create database Master
> create database Project

   Certainly worth a try. It'll gobble more disk space, but I'm replacing the
500G drive holding Slackware-13.1/32-bit with a 750G drive (same price as
a 500G drive!) with Slackware-13.37/64-bit so there'll be plenty of room.

> Back in Grass-GIS ... in each mapset:
> PERMANENT
> db.connect driver=mysql database=host=localhost,dbname=Master
>
> Project
> db.connect driver=mysql database=host=localhost,dbname=Project
>
> Then, when I copy a map from PERMANENT to Project, there is no table in the
> target schema to upset the copying process.

   If I understand you correctly, I need to connect to each when I start a
GRASS session so g.copy sees both the source (in Master) and the destination
(in Project). I'll do so today.

Many thanks,

Rich