[GRASS-user] If not v.overlay, what?

Sylvain Maillard sylvain.maillard at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 09:25:32 EDT 2011

2011/7/27 Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>

>  I have a map of drainage basins and another of the project property
> boundary. Of the 4200+ basins in the map, the property is in only a dozen
> or
> so. I'm trying to overlay these maps to produce a union that has only those
> basins that drain the property. v.overlay with operator=or yields a
> combined
> map of _all_ basins and the property[1] so either I'm not correctly
> applying
> the module, or the resulting map needs more processing with a different
> module. Please point me in the right direction to get the results I want.

there are different ways for that job, one is using r.water.outlet which
compute the drainage area for a specified point: get to coordinates of the
outlet point of your drainage area, and it will compute one unique
corresponding catchment area !

>   After I have a map containing only those basins overlaid by the property
> boundary I want to use v.overlay to clip the stream networks in these same
> basins. I assume that v.overlay with op=and will do this nicely. My
> question
> is then what process will allow me to extract each drainage basin with its
> stream network and portion of the property for terrain and hydrological
> analyses and modeling.

transform the resulting catchment area raster into an area vector
(r.to.vect), then use v.select or v.overlay to query the stream netwok that
is contains into the cathment area ...

[1] Using the wxPython GUI with v.overlay I did not see a data entry widget
> to select the operator. It apparently defaults to 'or' but if there's a
> radiobox to select 'or,' 'and,' 'not,' or 'xor' I did not see it.

in the command dialog box, there are several tabs. One is called "Options",
and there is a list box "Operator defines features written to output vector
map" which permit to select the different avaliable operator ...

Sylvain