[GRASS-user] Problems with lidar tools

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 6 04:21:12 EDT 2011

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 2:57 PM, LeeDaniel <Lee.Daniel.1986 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm having major problems with the Lidar tools. I've got a dataset with
> 5.5-7.0 points per m² and have run v.edgedetection on the original point
> cloud containing all points with a the spline step parameters set to 0.6 and
> the other parameters set as outlined in "Inverse calibration of lidar
> filterimg parameters" by Brovelli & Lucca. Nonetheless, the edges detected
> don't seem to have a whole lot to do with actual edges in the scene,
> buildings look like they're completly ignored. Another fact is that I can't
> see the data in nviz, it claims that there are no points in the region, even
> though I've set the region settings to match the LiDAR data set.

If I understand the Brovelli & Lucca procedure correctly, there are no
hard rules to determine the settings for v.lidar.egedetection, instead
it is trial and error (iterative calibration against a reference). You
may have to experiment with different settings until the edges of
buildings are properly detected.

About nviz, I guess nviz needs vectors with topology for display, and
the output of v.lidar.edgedetection does not have topology, you may
need to run v.build manually.

> More confusing, I can tell GRASS to show the points with random colors
> according to their classes, but I can't see the classes themselves in the
> attribute table, so I can't extract them thematically or control how they're
> shown. If I build topology again for that classes, I can open the attribute
> table, but it only has two fields: ID and Interp. Can't figure out what they
> mean, and v.lidar.growing doesn't change the map at all. What's going on??

In the output of v.lidar.edgedetection, the classes TERRAIN, EDGE,
UNKNOWN are not in an attribute table, they are only coded by cats.
You can add a table to layer 1 with columns cat and label and populate
the table with label = TERRAIN for cat = 1, label = EDGE for cat = 2
and label = UNKNOWN for cat = 3.
The table with the fields ID and Interp is attached to layer 3.

v.lidar.growing adds categories to layer 2, but no attribute table.
Again, you would need to add a table manually. And there is probably a
bug in v.lidar.growing, needs (time for) testing.

HTH,

Markus M