[GRASS-user] Points, Distances, and, Bearings.

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 1 03:03:51 EST 2011

Hamish wrote:
> check out the d.rhumbline, d.geodesic, r.transect,
> r.profile, and m.cogo modules.

... and since I've wanted such a thing for a while for laying out long
transect lines, I've just added a new v.in.geodesic module to the AddOns
repository.

  http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_AddOns#v.in.geodesic

 Creates a vector map containing a great circle line.

Usage:
 v.in.geodesic map=name [coor=east1,north1,east2,north2]
   [line=east,north,azimuth,distance] [nsteps=value] [distance=value]
   [--overwrite] [--verbose] [--quiet]

Flags:
 --o   Allow output files to overwrite existing files
 --v   Verbose module output
 --q   Quiet module output

Parameters:
       map   Name for output vector map
      coor   Starting and ending coordinates
      line   Transect definition
    nsteps   Number of vertices to place along the line
             default: 100
  distance   Distance between vertices in meters

It might have some bugs, and should be rewritten in C. (treat as a
functional prototype)

enjoy,
Hamish