[GRASS-user] Converting from FileGDB

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Mar 1 14:56:29 EST 2011

On 03/01/2011 11:36 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   The USGS national hydrographic dataset (NHD) by states is available only
> as a FileGeoDataBase (FileGDB). When I look on the GDAL/OGR Web site I see
> that the Personal (PGDB) format is supported, but I don't see that the FGDB
> is.
>
>   My attempt to subscribe to the gdal-dev list to ask was rejected (I
> cannot
> subscribe because I'm not a subscriber. Go figure.)
>
>   Has anyone here experience with the FGDB and know how to import it to
> GRASS? The state data set I need is about 434M zipped and will take a while
> to download via my DSL connection.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich

That subscription rejection is odd, I'll see if someone can look into that.

As for you're other question, now that the FileGDB api has been released
for Windows & Linux (couple of months ago, and 2 weeks ago) I believe
there is some code in the GDAL svn to support it. Though it's likely
very rough around the edges and probably requires that you compile gdal
yourself. I actually don't know it's specific status, just saw some
conversations that work was being done on it.

Now to try and get you on the gdal list where that conversation is
likely to happen.

Thanks,
Alex