[GRASS-user] Re: Command Variable Name Uniformity

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Mar 2 17:49:32 EST 2011

On Wed, 2 Mar 2011, Markus Neteler wrote:

> I fully agree - but we can change only in GRASS 7 for backward
> compatibility.

Markus,

   As long as I can continue working from the command line in 7 I'll be
happy. Shell scripts have worked so far and I do know some python so I can
work with that, too.

> Please send this mail to the list... I would even rename v.in.ogr into
> v.import!

   Done.

   Well, why not v.import for all vectors? No separate modules for .e00,
.shp, and others. The file extension (or internal identifiers) can be used.
The key factor is the same lable for input filename, output filename, areal
type (instead of 'area' and 'boundary'), and so on.

> On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 10:41 PM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
>> Markus,
>>
>> Just a thought for you developers to consider: make the file input
>> specifier the same for all modules. For example, in v.in.e00 we use
>> 'file,' in v.in.ogr we use 'dsn.' in v.proj we use 'input.' Why not make
>> them all 'input'? Same for the output name: make them all 'output' rather
>> than 'vect' and so on.
>>
>> Despite the push to GUIs, I'm sure that I'm not the only one who prefers
>> the command line interface.
>>
>> Rich

Rich