[GRASS-user] Re: Command Variable Name Uniformity

Rainer M Krug r.m.krug at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 04:16:05 EST 2011

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 11:49 PM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Mar 2011, Markus Neteler wrote:
>
>> I fully agree - but we can change only in GRASS 7 for backward
>> compatibility.
>
> Markus,
>
>  As long as I can continue working from the command line in 7 I'll be
> happy. Shell scripts have worked so far and I do know some python so I can
> work with that, too.
>
>> Please send this mail to the list... I would even rename v.in.ogr into
>> v.import!
>
>  Done.
>
>  Well, why not v.import for all vectors? No separate modules for .e00,
> .shp, and others. The file extension (or internal identifiers) can be used.

Beforehand I must say I am not a GRASS developer or familiar with the
inner workings of GRASS - I am using grass from the commandline and
via R. So I would not be very happy, if the commands v.i.ogr et al.
would be dropped. Nevertheless, I really like the ide of having one
command (v.import) which can be used to import all possible formats
into GRASS - that would be awesome. But I would suggest to either
leave the v.i.... commands and have v.import which calls the others
depending on the input format which are actually importing the layer,
or have one v.import which is importing the layers and v.in.... are
just calling v.import. To deprecate a command without warning from one
version to another, would be quite hard for all script users.

Cheers,

Rainer

> The key factor is the same lable for input filename, output filename, areal
> type (instead of 'area' and 'boundary'), and so on.

Absolutely - but again, if possible please leave the already in use
labels as well (possibly with warning) so that they can probably be
removed in GRASS 8

Cheers,

Rainer

>> On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 10:41 PM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Markus,
>>>
>>> Just a thought for you developers to consider: make the file input
>>> specifier the same for all modules. For example, in v.in.e00 we use
>>> 'file,' in v.in.ogr we use 'dsn.' in v.proj we use 'input.' Why not make
>>> them all 'input'? Same for the output name: make them all 'output' rather
>>> than 'vect' and so on.
>>>
>>> Despite the push to GUIs, I'm sure that I'm not the only one who prefers
>>> the command line interface.
>>>
>>> Rich
>
> Rich

NEW GERMAN FAX NUMBER!!!