[GRASS-user] v.in.ascii: Cannot Close Attribute Table

Martin Landa landa.martin at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 10:48:49 EST 2011

2011/3/5 Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>:
> On Sat, 5 Mar 2011, Martin Landa wrote:
>
>> better to avoid dbf at all
>
>  I always assumed this was based on dBASE or, perhaps, BerkeleyDB.

default driver in GRASS 6 is dbf [1]  (dBASE)

>> Set up default DB backend. Newly produced vector data will store it's
>> attributes in this backend.
>
>  This is a good time for me to ask about postGIS. I've looked superficially
> at it over the years, yet I still have no deep understanding of what it
> provides that postgres and grass do not. It seems to me that postGIS, QGIS,
> and similar tools are alternatives to postgres + grass. No?

it's very vague to say that, PostGIS implement OGC Simple Features [2]
for PostgreSQL. It's extension for PostgreSQL which enables this
database system to store, process, and analyze spatial data. PostGIS
is spatial database. GRASS is a desktop GIS environment.

Martin

[1] http://grass.osgeo.org/grass65/manuals/html65_user/grass-dbf.html
[2] http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/sfa