[GRASS-user] Using r.buffer on image with geographic coordinates

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sat Mar 26 05:27:01 EDT 2011

Hi Ned,

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 2:42 PM, Ned Horning <horning at amnh.org> wrote:
> Hi - I am trying to create buffers for large (~1GB) line and polygon vector
> files. I tried v.buffer but after letting it run overnight with no apparent
> progress I killed the process. I'm not aware of any software capable of
> buffering large vector files on a modest computer so that wasn't a big
> surprise.

So we hope that there is still a chance to make GRASS the only one
to suppor this :)

Note that v.buffer is somewhat in transition:
http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/699#comment:10
"All these test cases are successfully completed by v.buffer/v.parallel;
on confirmation by I would reactivate v.buffer/v.parallel and deactivate
v.buffer2/v.parallel. For trunk that would mean that v.buffer which is
actually v.buffer2 gets replaced with v.buffer, same for v.parallel.

Markus M
"

and
http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/699#comment:15

If you can compile yourself, please try GRASS 6.5 from current SVN
(or weekly snapshot) and go into
vector/v.buffer/
and compile this fixed older but apparently better version.

If that then works ok for you, it will be another reason to reactivate
the fixed original version of v.buffer rather than promoting the
currently used v.buffer2.

Markus