[GRASS-user] problem: boundary lines double

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 30 08:45:41 EDT 2011

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 1:46 PM,  <mails-foren at gmx-topmail.de> wrote:

> Hello Markus,
>
> thank you for your advice. Unfortunatly its not possible for me to get clean data. If I import an esri file (16 features) with the command v.in.ogr -o (the o flag is for the locations projection) I get a file with 58 features.
> Below I attached the output:
>

> v.in.ogr -o dsn=/home/BL2009/Bundeslaender.shp output=test4
>
> Over-riding projection check
>
> Layer: Bundeslaender
>
> Importing map 16 features...

[...]
> Number of nodes: 146
>
> Number of primitives: 161
>
> Number of points: 0
>
> Number of lines: 0
>
> Number of boundaries: 103
>
> Number of centroids: 58
>
> Number of areas: 60
>
> Number of isles: 45
>
> Number of areas without centroid: 2

> 119 input polygons
>
> Total area: 4.596540e+01 (60 areas)
>
> Overlapping area: 0.000000e+00 (0 areas)
>
> Area without category: 4.309415e-03 (2 areas)
> Successfully finished

A late response:

The 16 features are most probably multipolygons, because a total of
119 polygons are imported, e.g. islands are separate polygons but can
belong to the same Bundesland. All the warnings like e.g. "Area size
[1.8e-05], area not imported" indicate that the input shapefile was
not clean and these small areas are sliver or overlapping polygons
that are created when e.g. reprojecting or simplifying a
non-topological vector. The result of topology building at the end
indicates that the imported vector is clean.

Markus M