[GRASS-user] GDAL-GRASS Error

Chethan S chethanuniversal at gmail.com
Mon May 2 09:01:26 EDT 2011

Hi all,

When I run --with-grass=/usr/local/grass-6.5.svn, for installing GDAL-GRASS,
I get the following error:

checking for gdal-config... /usr/bin/gdal-config
using /usr/lib/gdalplugins as GDAL shared library autoload directory
checking for G_asprintf in -lgrass_gis... no
configure: error: --with-grass=/usr/local/grass-6.5.svn requested, but
libraries not found!
Perhaps you need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include /usr/local/grass-6.5.svn/lib?

I have created a *grass.conf* as instructed elsewhere inside
/etc/ld.so.conf.d/ and have added following lines in it:
/usr/local/lib
/usr/local/grass-6.5.svn/lib

I ran sudo ldconfig after that too.

I came across a similar issue posted in the GRASS-Dev mailing list
<http://osgeo-org.1803224.n2.nabble.com/gdal-grass-plugin-build-failed-td6232215>.
As an answer it was instructed to:

You could just generate the symlinks yourself, e.g.:

cd /usr/local/grass-6.5.svn/lib
    for file in libgrass_*.so ; do ln -s $file ${file%.6.5.svn.so}.so
; done html.

I ran,

cd /usr/local/grass-6.5.svn/lib
ln -s $file ${file%.6.5.svn.so}.so

but it made no difference! What should I do now?

Thanks and Regards,

Chethan S.