[GRASS-user] GRASS GDAL 1.4.3 error in installing

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue May 17 02:16:51 EDT 2011

Chethan S. wrote:
> When I tried installing GDAL-GRASS-1.4.3 on GRASS 6.5.SVN running in
> Ubuntu 11.04, configure and make steps run fine. But when I use
> 'sudo make install' I get this error:
>
> install -d /usr/lib/gdalplugins
>

> cp gdal_GRASS.so /usr/lib/gdalplugins
> cp ogr_GRASS.so /usr/lib/gdalplugins
> test -d /usr/local/share/gdal/grass || mkdir /usr/local/share/gdal/grass
> mkdir: cannot create directory `/usr/local/share/gdal/grass': No such file or directory
> make: *** [install] Error 1
>
> What is to be done for this?

try first:
   sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/share/gdal

mkdir without -p can't create two directories at once, and the parent
gdal/ one doesn't seem to exist yet.

better: add UbuntuGIS's launchpad ppa repository to your package
sources.list and get the pre-build grass plugin package with a newer
version of GDAL.

Hamish