[GRASS-user] Synchronizing two displays

Pierre Roudier pierre.roudier at gmail.com
Mon May 23 17:29:12 EDT 2011

Kia ora Hamish,

> note that using development code for production work is asking
> for trouble..

I'm using the 7 version as I'm testing the WPS bridge for another
project. I got a 6.4.1 version installed if I need more stability (but
so far, so good with the dev version).

> Map Display 1: Zoom options (right-most magnifying glass icon in
> the Map Display toolbar) -> Save display geometry to named region.
>
> Map Display 2: Same menu but -> Zoom to saved region.

It does zoom to the same extent, but what I got in mind is a way to
link displays: I need to browse through a shaded relief layer on the
one display, and I'd like the orthophoto, on the second display to
update its extent automatically (not sure I was that clear on what I
tried to achieve in my first mail).

> The GRASS book has an example of how to cross-hatch two maps in
> a checkerboard fashion.  (not sure if that's in the latest
> edition or not)
>
> See also the xganim module where you can flip between multiple
> rasters in the same animation window. (with some work you could
> also do that in NVIZ + keyframe animation) Not sure if that's
> available on MS Windows or not.

It can indeed display my two layers, either on the same view or on
superposed views, but I can't really browse through them (no zoom, no
pan) - I guess this is not the core purpose of the module.

> And finally, from the old Xmon d.* commands (again UNIX only),
> see the d.split.frame module, to split a single d.mon window into
> a left & right frame.

Yes, I'm on a Unix machine, so I could try that on the 6.4.1 version I
got installed. But I'm aware those modules will disappear in the 7
version.

> good luck,
> Hamish
>
> (Otago Uni)

Thank you for your answers and pointers,

Pierre

--
Scientist
Landcare Research, New Zealand