[GRASS-user] Synchronizing two displays

Daniel Victoria daniel.victoria at gmail.com
Mon May 23 19:48:48 EDT 2011

About 7 years ago John Gillette sent me this script for Grass 5. I was
used for linking 2 X monitors. I then resent the email do Jonathan
Greenberg in 2005 and here we go again. It looks s though this feature
(geolink monitors) is something very usefull and that it should be
considered for grass 7. Maybe geolink two map displays...

Cheers
Daniel

Below are the old emails...
Hi,

Two years ago I asked the same question:

On 7/20/05, Jonathan Greenberg <jgreenberg at arc.nasa.gov> wrote:
> I have two quick questions:
>
> 1) Can I have two overlapping raster images in two different windows, and
> "link" them so as I move through one image, the second window moves with it?

and I git this answer from "John Gillette" <JGillette at rfmd.com>. I
remember that it worked well back then. You need to start both
monitors X0 and X1. Hope it helps...

 [GRASSLIST:5636] Linking Monitors script

try this:

Select and then Erase x1 and then display what ever you want there.
Select x0 and erase and display other info there.

Run this script to either pan or zoom in x0.  After finishing
the pan or zoom x1 will redraw it's contents at the same region
thereby "following" what ever is done in x0.

The disadvantage is that you can only do 1 pan or zoom at a time,
i.e. not interactively.

usage:

script_name z   <- does zoom instead of pan
script_name

zooming and panning in x0.  x0 is selected at exit.

Does this help?

John

------------------
#!/bin/sh