SV: [GRASS-user] Modifying Vector Attribute Table Values

Martin Album Ytre-Eide Martin.Album.Ytre-Eide at nrpa.no
Tue May 24 02:33:49 EDT 2011

My advise to you: use mysql or postgres. In linux it is very easy to install both of these. I think it is easiest to start with mysql, but postgres is somewhat better. So if you have good time and will do a lot with vector maps - go for postgres (which also have the very interesting postgis feature). If you want get on in a hurry - go for mysql with the phpmyadmin interface. Mysql: install lamp (linux, apache, mysql, php) and phpmyadmin. For postgres - I like the pgadmin3 interface.

You should look at some basic tutorial as well.

Change the database - it's worth the effort.(use db.connect for each mapset before you import the maps) It will save you some headache. I do all my queries in the database-interface and connect the maps to views or new tables with v.db.connect.

Good luck.

Martin