[GRASS-user] Modifying Vector Attribute Table Values

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon May 23 20:00:08 EDT 2011

On Mon, 23 May 2011, Rich Shepard wrote:

>  In GRASS-6.x is there a way to modify the data in the default .dbf vector
> attribute tables?

   This is interesting. I opened the .dbf in OO.o and there are the county
names in the attribute column, 'NAMES'. When I query the table with the db.*
tools I don't see the names, only the numbers in the previous two columns.

   Also, when I try to export the table I see errors and nothing is exported:

GRASS 6.5.svn (Nevada-aea):~/grassdata > db.out.ogr in=county_bnd
dsn=/home/rshepard/counties for=CSV
WARNING: The map contains islands. To preserve them in the output map, use
          the -c flag
WARNING: 47 boundary(ies) found, but not requested to be exported. Verify
          'type' parameter.
WARNING: 17 centroid(s) found, but not requested to be exported. Verify
          'type' parameter.
WARNING: 17 areas found, but not requested to be exported. Verify 'type'
          parameter.
WARNING: No points found, but requested to be exported. Will skip this
          geometry type.
WARNING: Nothing to export

   If I'm asking for attribute data to be exported from the .dbf why do I get
errors about geographic attributes?

Confused, but wanting to learn,

Rich