[GRASS-user] Draping of Raster images

Anna Hodgkinson anna.hodgkinson at thehumanjourney.net
Thu Nov 3 09:10:45 EDT 2011

Dear all,

I was wondering whether it is possible to use GRASS to drape raster images over existing 3D surfaces or vector layers.

I know ArcGIS is capable of this, is seems a fairly straight-forward procedure there (http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.3/tutorials/3D_analyst/3D_5.htm), so I was hoping to achieve the same using open source GIS.

GRASS has a v.drape module, which can drape vector layers over 3D surfaces, NVIZ seems to do the same.

It would be great if someone could tell me that GRASS (or any other open source GIS package) is capable of draping raster images over either other rasters or vectors containing elevation information.

Many thanks and all the best,

Anna

Anna Kathrin Hodgkinson MA MSt (Oxon) AIFA EES
Supervisor Geomatics

Oxford Archaeology: Exploring the Human Journey
Mobile: +44 (0)7906 638308 (personal)
Direct Dial: +44 (0)1865 980 855
http://thehumanjourney.net

This email has been processed by SmoothZap - www.smoothwall.net