[GRASS-user] Re: European Datum 1950 is not saved in the region information

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 13 22:05:40 EST 2011

Hamish wrote:
> > do you use proj4 version 4.7.1svn? If so, please try
> > version 4.7.0

Sophia:
> Sorry, can you give me information on how to use version
> 4.7.0. I've downloaded the zip file from http://trac.osgeo.org
> /proj/ but I'm not sure what to do with the files. I assuem I
> must compile it.

actually you just have to replace the "epsg" file with an older
copy,

rename the file  C:\Program Files\GRASS 6.4.SVN\proj\epsg
 to something like "epsg.471dev"

then download the older 4.7.0 copy from here:
 http://trac.osgeo.org/proj/export/2118/tags/4.7.0/proj/nad/epsg

and put it in the same place as "epsg" & hope for the best.

> I was able to set the datum using g.setproj, then g.proj -p
> shows the datum and towgs84 params correctly:
>
> -PROJ_INFO-------------------------------------------------
> name       : Universal Transverse
> Mercator
> datum      : eur50
> towgs84    : -87.000,-98.000,-121.000
> proj       : utm
> ellps      : international
> a          : 6378388.0000000000
> es         : 0.0067226700
> f          : 297.0000000000
> zone       : 30
> -PROJ_UNITS------------------------------------------------
> unit       : meter
> units      : meters
> meters     : 1.0

Yes, g.setproj uses GRASS's internal datum tables to set things
up, so it isn't affected by the epsg file problems & works ok.
On the downside, g.setproj doesn't know about EPSG codes and
so can't expand from them.

> However, when I try the same for the Finland Uniform
> Coordinate System (created through the wizard selecting EPSG
> code 2393) g.setproj doesn't find the D_KKJ datum,

the location wizard doesn't use g.setproj, it is a work-alike.
the location wizard uses "g.proj -c" which relies on PROJ.4
for the datum and ellipsoid options, and that's the one which
is not happy right now.

for more details see http://trac.osgeo.org/proj/ticket/122

Hamish