[GRASS-user] Alternative to r.stats to generate % of surface

Marcello Gorini gorini at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 07:35:50 EST 2011

Hi Helena,

I have come to the same problem and solved it with ugly and very specific
shell scripts. There is most certainly a better way within GRASS and no
doubt you can code it much better in Shell, but anyway, this may get you
going somehow.

Code snippet:

MAP=$1

g.region rast=$MAP
max_cats=9
file=true_percentages.txt
rm $file

tot=$(r.univar $MAP | grep "^n: " | awk '{print $2}')
r.stats -cn $MAP > stats.txt

cats=1
while [ $cats -le $max_cats ]; do

    ncat="`head -$cats stats.txt | tail -1 | awk '{print $2}'`"
    cat="`head -$cats stats.txt | tail -1 | awk '{print $1}'`"
    perc="`echo $tot $ncat | awk '{printf("%.5f", $2 / $1 * 100);}'`"

    echo $cat $perc >> $file

    cats="$(expr $cats + 1)"

done

I wanted everything in text files, so I generated these stats.txt and
true_percentages.txt. The idea of the script is to use the actual cell
count given by r.stats -cn and divide it by the total count given by
r.univar.

Note that this script is very specific and only work for categories that
are incremented by 1. In my case, they go from 1 to 9.

How brave I am to publicize such an ugly script, huh? :) The result sums up
to 1 at least. Just give the name of the categorical map as input.

Hope it helps somehow.

Marcello.

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 9:36 AM, Helena Herrera <helenaherrera1980 at gmail.com