[GRASS-user] Problems while running d.out.file

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 17 21:05:56 EST 2011

Moritz wrote:
> I can confirm the issue (António, have you posted
> a bug report ?). The problem is not that the
> scalebar "disappears", but that its location is not
> adapted to the changed resolution: see the
> http://geog-pc40.ulb.ac.be/grass/export_png/ for a
> series of examples.

I'm not sure I fully understand the problem, but
d.out.file has always worked well for me.

the effect of making the width and height of the
image is the same as dragging the xmonitor window
bigger- the barscale and text is still the same size
when viewed at 100% scale. when shrunk to fit on
the screen in an image viewer it becomes tiny.
You can make text and line widths bigger to
compensate but really if you want things to scale
well e.g. for a hi-res poster image, you should
probably be using ps.map, not screen dumps of the
Xmonitors, as the d.* modules were designed for.

barscale and legend are placed as a percentage of
the display frame, so at least their relative
position should stay intact even if the frame gets
bigger.

if y'all think there's a bug please file a detailed
ticket with the steps to reproduce using one of
the standard datasets, and I'll look into it.

Hamish