[GRASS-user] Re: what are the side effects of working with topologically incorrect lines?

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 23 04:14:04 EST 2011

G. Allegri wrote:
> Probably I'm wrong: the self intersecting line doesn't produce errors with
> v.build.
> Mmm, I thought it wasn't compliant with G1 scheme...
> giovanni

As far as the GRASS topological model is concerned, self-intersecting
lines are allowed, self-intersecting boundaries are not.

Self-intersecting lines are ok for v.net modules, e.g. to represent a
bridge of a secondary road over a highway. There are some modules that
do not like self-intersecting lines, e.g with v.buffer I would expect
problems.

Markus M