[GRASS-user] Cannot get past Wiki captcha

Martin Landa landa.martin at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 06:20:13 EST 2011

Hi,

2011/11/27 Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com>:
> Hmm, didn't we used to use reCaptcha? (or is that a
> config option as part of FancyCaptcha?)
> if not, it would be my preferred option as it is
> not so much wasting humanity's time. (even if it
> is now free labor for google instead of helping out
> Project Gutenberg as it once was, it is still better
> than throwing your finite energy down a hole, which
> I find to be highly demotivating)

agreed, on the other hand (cited [1])

Unfortunately, reCAPTCHA might be a victim of its own success - as of
2011, some spammers appear to have figured out a way to bypass it,
either through character recognition or by using humans. For that
reason, it is not necessarily recommended.
Part of the weakness of the ReCaptcha module is that ConfirmEdit
doesn't include any penalty mechanism, so spam bots can simply keep
trying to bypass the CAPTCHA until they get through. This is an issue
that is strongly worth addressing in some way.

Martin

[1] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Confirmedit