[GRASS-user] overlapping areas seem valid to v.build: why?

G. Allegri giohappy at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 16:10:18 EST 2011

Back again with my topological questions :)

Two overlapping polygons were imported without cleaning them (-c option in
v.in.ogr).
The result are two overlapping areas, correctly built from two overlapping
boundaries and their centroids.
If I run v.build to output topological errors, the output is empty. I
deduce that the overlapping areas are topologically correct, but the GRASS
topological model states that two boundaries *should* not overlap.

Question: Is the *should* proposition a suggestions or a rule to state
boundary/area validity? From my simple test, it seems that the two areas
overlap but yet they're correctly built (level = 2).

thanks,
giovanni