[GRASS-user] 6.4.2RC1 on ubuntu 10.04 - successful

Shane Litherland litherland-farm at bigpond.com
Sun Oct 16 23:25:06 EDT 2011

Hi all,

Still early days in test-driving it, but I managed to swim the deep
waters of compiling from source and I figured I have been successful
because I can type 'grass64' in a terminal and things happen :-)

FYI, below is what I did to 'build/configure/whatever-the-right-term-is'
on ubuntu 10.04.3 64bit, with a previous version of grass 6.4.1.

I had hoped that I'd do it in such a way as the new version would take
the place of the old, but it appears that the new one has set up
in /usr/grass-6.4.2RC1 whereas the previous version (done from ubuntugis
unstable repo's) put it in... somewhere else.. i think because i did
'make distclean' before the new install, it tidied all that up (i.e.
gone).

anyway, that doesn't seem to affect it operating. just slightly out of
line with where ubuntu would normally have put it. I think it would have
been /usr/share as that is where all my other programs seem to be.

#ran this batch of apt-get, as per website
#http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Compile_and_Install_Ubuntu

sudo apt-get install \
 build-essential \
 make flex bison gcc libgcc1 g++ cmake ccache \
 swig swig1.3 \
 python python-dev python-qt4 python-qt4-dev \
 sip4 python-sip4 python-sip4-dev python-opengl \
 python-wxversion python-wxtools python-wxgtk2.8 \
 libgsl0-dev \
 wx2.8-headers wx-common libwxgtk2.8-dev libwxgtk2.8-dbg \
 libwxbase2.8-dev  libwxbase2.8-dbg \
 libncurses5-dev \
 zlib1g-dev gettext \
 libjpeg62-dev libtiff4-dev libpngwriter-dev \
 tcl8.4-dev tk8.4-dev \
 libcairo libcairo-dev \
 sqlite3 libsqlite3-dev \
 libpq-dev \
 libreadline5 libreadline5-dev libfreetype6-dev \
 txt2tags \
 fftw3 fftw3-dev \
 libqt4-core libqt4-dbg libqt4-dev libqt4-gui libqt4-sql
libqt4-qt3support \
 lsb-qt4 qt4-designer qt4-dev-tools qt4-doc qt4-qtconfig \
 libapt-pkg-perl resolvconf \
 libjasper-dev \
 ruby \
 subversion \
 ffmpeg ffmpeg2theora \
 libffmpegthumbnailer-dev \
 libavcodec-dev \
 libxmu-dev \
 libavformat-dev libswscale-dev \
 checkinstall

##note my system already had a lot of what was in this list, either
##from default ubuntu installs or from me
##reading through grass-compiling info and manually adding bits
##prior to just pasting this whole thing into a terminal

#and this specifically for ubuntu 10.04 again from website

sudo apt-get install libhdf4-alt-dev libhdf4-0-alt

########## next steps

#note had to instal libgdal1-dev from ubuntu repo's
#in order to get /usr/bin/gdal-config
#also wx-common, libwxbase2.8-dev and/or libwxgtk2.8-dev
#and/or wx2.8-headers
#in order to get wx-config to enable wxwidgets
#(may also have been included in ~-dbg of
#these files instead of ~-dev, as per info obtained from terminal).

#then as per website instructions do a make distclean

sudo make distclean

##my idea for configure parameters:

sudo CFLAGS="-g -Wall" ./configure \
	--prefix=/usr \
	--enable-64bit \
	--with-libs=/usr/lib64 \
	--with-cxx \
	--with-postgres \
	--with-odbc \
	--with-gdal=/usr/bin/gdal-config \
	--with-python=/usr/bin/python2.6-config \
	--with-wxwidgets=/usr/bin/wx-config \
	--with-geos=/usr/bin/geos-config \
	--with-postgres-libs=/usr/include/postgresql/libpq \
	--with-postgres-includes=/usr/include/postgresql \
	--enable-largefile=yes \
	--with-includes=/usr/include \
	--with-proj-share=/usr/share/proj \
	--with-tcltk-includes=/usr/include/tcl8.4

#configured ok, then from website instructions do this
#but I had to add 'sudo' before make

sudo make -j2 && sudo checkinstall && sudo ldconfig

That's what worked :-)
a couple of basic questions showed in terminal as I finished the process
but they went straightforward.

One small thing, is that I now have to type 'grass64' from the terminal,
on previous version/s I had the option to just type 'grass' (possibly
the ubuntu install just make a link in the relevant ./bin file from
'grass' to 'grass 6.x')
I used 'locate' and 'whereis' in a terminal to check if 'grass' still
existed, it seems not. Trivial issue though :-)

Overall, am pleased that I managed to A) get it working and B) not have
the old version hanging around to confuse me or the computer!

I will post feedback on usage, particularly regarding recent problems I
reported, in separate emails.

Regards, and a pat on back to the GRASS collective :-)

-Shane