[GRASS-user] v.in.ogr of shp file: no centroids but data in table

Sebastian Schubert schubert.seb at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 18 10:10:11 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I imported a shape file into grass

v.in.ogr --o basel_gelaende.shp out=basel_gelaende

resulting in:
Number of nodes: 38602
Number of primitives: 115042
Number of points: 0
Number of lines: 0
Number of boundaries: 115042
Number of centroids: 0
Number of areas: 76441
Number of isles: 1
Number of areas without centroid: 76441

If I understood the grass book correctly, the table cat column and with
that the whole table is connected via the centroids. That would explain
that I don't see any information from the table when I use v.what:

Building spatial index...
East: 7:34:46.8228E
North: 47:34:23.9952N
Map: basel_gelaende
Mapset: Basel
Type: Area
Sq Meters: 32796.147
Hectares: 3.280
Acres: 8.104
Sq Miles: 0.0127

I could do a v.centroids to calculate the centroids and then also v.what
gives information from the table, but the data is not correct. I guess
grass put the cat values without really knowing the right connection.

It might be important that the map is actually a 3d one, but in "2d
mode" so I got the following warning:

WARNING: Input data contains 3D features. Created vector is 2D only, use
-z flag to import 3D vector

I can import the map in qgis and it works, I do have the right
connection between polygons and table rows. I tried to include
"centroid" in the type parameter of v.in.ogr, but this did not have any
effect for me.

Any idea?

Thanks a lot
Sebastian