[GRASS-user] Re: r.in.gdal oddity

Brian Oney zenlines at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 18:25:12 EDT 2011

Hi Helmut,

I have read that and done that. I get the same information. Yes, in this
case I am supposed to use the -l flag, but I get the same result (as I
wrote).

A bit more peculiar when importing the ArcGRID files...

r.info prec_1
  | Layer:    prec_1                         Date: Sun Oct 30 22:57:26
2011    |
  | Mapset:   data_1975                      Login of Creator:
root            |
  | Location:
worldclim                                                        |
  | DataBase:
/D/GIS_Dbase                                                     |
  | Title:     ( prec_1
)                                                      |
  | Timestamp:
none                                                            |
  |   Type of Map:  raster               Number of Categories:
916             |
  |   Data Type:
CELL                                                       |
  |   Rows:
3600                                                       |
  |   Columns:
8640                                                       |
  |   Total Cells:
31104000                                                   |
  |        Projection:
Latitude-Longitude                                      |
  |            N:        90N    S:        60S   Res:
0:02:30                   |
  |            E: 179:59:59.932408W    W:       180W   Res:
0:00:00.000008     |
  |   Range of data:    min = 0  max =
916                                     |
  |   Data
  |    generated by
r.in.gdal                                                  |

Comments:                                                                |
  |    r.in.gdal -l
input="/D/Documents/Spatial_Datasets/Climate/WorldClim/\   |
  |    prec_2-5m_esri/prec/prec_1"
output="prec_1"                             |
## Same thing
r.region map=prec_1 n=90 s=-60 e=180 w=-180

r.info prec_1
  | Layer:    prec_1                         Date: Sun Oct 30 22:57:26
2011    |
  | Mapset:   data_1975                      Login of Creator:
root            |
  | Location:
worldclim                                                        |
  | DataBase:
/D/GIS_Dbase                                                     |
  | Title:     ( prec_1
)                                                      |
  | Timestamp:
none                                                            |
  |   Type of Map:  raster               Number of Categories:
916             |
  |   Data Type:
CELL                                                       |
  |   Rows:
3600                                                       |
  |   Columns:
8640                                                       |
  |   Total Cells:
31104000                                                   |
  |        Projection:
Latitude-Longitude                                      |
  |            N:        90N    S:        60S   Res:
0:02:30                   |
  |            E:       180E    W:       180W   Res:
0:02:30                   |
  |   Range of data:    min = 0  max =
916                                     |
  |   Data
  |    generated by
r.in.gdal                                                  |

Comments:                                                                |
  |    r.in.gdal -l
input="/D/Documents/Spatial_Datasets/Climate/WorldClim/\   |
  |    prec_2-5m_esri/prec/prec_1"
output="prec_1"                             |
Now r.region lets me pull and stretch as I wish. Notice the slight
difference in e-w resolution. Maybe that could be the key. Nonetheless,
it is odd that even with overriding the projection check AND OR forcing
the map to fit within the bounds, the map is still a bit "skinny"...
I realize there is an Illegal latitude. I have been playing with this
for almost a week now... I have RTFM plenty of times. Not to say that I
didn't or couldn't miss something, but it would less likely after such a
long time of tinkering :). The more pragmatic solution would be to
download the .bil files, because I have already worked with them... I
can get the thing to work another way, however I want to understand what
is wrong and where.

Still stumped. A bit of context may help: I am a semi-experienced grass
user (+1.5 years) but just switched to linux. Any common experiences
when starting anew? Could I have compiled something incorrectly? It is a
bit odd. Maybe you could try importing and tell me what it says?
r.in.arc gives me the same result...

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,
Brian