[GRASS-user] using a vector map as target map for raster map to georectify

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Mon Oct 31 06:22:00 EDT 2011

On 31/10/11 10:08, Markus Metz wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 11:25 AM, Moritz Lennert
> <mlennert at club.worldonline.be>  wrote:
>> On 27/10/11 21:10, Moritz Lennert wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Trying to use the georeferencing tool in 6.4.1, I have the following
>>> question: is it possible to define a vector map as target map when
>>> georeferencing a raster map ? I can't seem to find how to do this.
>>
>> Just to be precise: I'm talking about the tool in the wxgui.
>>
>> Am I the only one seeing this as a problem ? I can work around this by
>> transforming my vector map in a raster and then use the result as target
>> map. But I find this less than ideal. It should be possible to use vector
>> map as reference, not only raster maps.
>>
>> I will file a bug report about this, but was just wondering whether I'm
>> missing something obvious.
>
> Vector support in the georeferencing tool is poor. Ideally the tool
> would have something like a layer manager where you can add as
> reference maps any number and combination of raster and vector maps,
> just like in the regular layer manager. Further more, the C module
> v.rectify is still missing (I want to write it based on v.transfrom
> and v.proj but did not get around yet to do it).

Ok, so currently I have to use the v.to.rast workaround, then. But does
the solution really have to be a whole layer manager ? Generally one
does not use many different layers as reference maps, so just having a
choice between vector and raster reference maps in the preparatory steps
of the tool should be enough IMHO.

v.rectify is still another issue. v.transform probably covers most of
the use cases anyway, or ?

Moritz