[GRASS-user] using a vector map as target map for raster map to georectify

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Mon Oct 31 08:27:45 EDT 2011

On 31/10/11 11:34, Markus Metz wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 11:22 AM, Moritz Lennert
> <mlennert at club.worldonline.be>  wrote:
>> On 31/10/11 10:08, Markus Metz wrote:

>>> Vector support in the georeferencing tool is poor. Ideally the tool
>>> would have something like a layer manager where you can add as
>>> reference maps any number and combination of raster and vector maps,
>>> just like in the regular layer manager. Further more, the C module
>>> v.rectify is still missing (I want to write it based on v.transfrom
>>> and v.proj but did not get around yet to do it).
>>
>> Ok, so currently I have to use the v.to.rast workaround, then. But does the
>> solution really have to be a whole layer manager ? Generally one does not
>> use many different layers as reference maps, so just having a choice between
>> vector and raster reference maps in the preparatory steps of the tool should
>> be enough IMHO.
>
> OK. Then the option for reference maps could be one raster map and/or
> one vector map (vector map always on top of raster map).

This sounds good to me.

>> v.rectify is still another issue. v.transform probably covers most of the
>> use cases anyway, or ?
>
> Yes, apart from the case when source and target LOCATION_NAME are
> different. This is handled by v.proj. Since GCPs are specific for a
> given source / target location combination, a TARGET like for imagery
> groups would also be needed.

I think that in many cases you can import the data directly into your
target location and run v.transform there. This is less the case for
raster data. But I agree that the possibility should be there for the
user to georeference vector data between two different locations.

Moritz