[GRASS-user] Watershed crossovers

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Mon Sep 5 02:55:20 EDT 2011

Lyle,

It sounds like what you want is to identify least cost paths between two watersheds. The relevant commands in GRASS are r.walk (assuming that you'd like to calculate anisotropic LCP's) and r.drain. These are found under raster/terrain analysis in the menus.

Run r.walk from a hypothetical start point (you'll want to read the manual first if you are unfamiliar with cost surfaces and LCP analysis) making sure to create a movement directions map. Then run r.drain, identifying a hypothetical end point and inputting the movement directions map.

This should give you the LCP between your starting and ending points (i.e., in adjacent watersheds). These are not necessarily deer trails, but represent the route requiring the least energy to cross from one watershed to the next.

Michael
C. Michael Barton
Arizona State University

voice: 	480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-727-9746 (CSDC)
fax:          480-965-7671 (SHESC),  480-727-0709 (CSDC)