[GRASS-user] Detecting GRASS version when only specifying GRASS directory

ahmadou dicko dicko.ahmadou at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 20:12:57 EDT 2011

The way Rainer use R for scripting GRASS don't allow  him to use the
GRASS_VERSION variable, so i think the only way is to use the second
solution proposed by Hamish.

something like that should do the trick in R

readLines(paste(Sys.getenv("GISBASE"), "etc", "VERSIONNUMBER", sep = "/"))

But if you launch R from GRASS or set some GRASS variable permanently you
can simply do

Sys.getenv("GRASS_VERSION")