[GRASS-user] Re: [GRASS-dev] getting from DBF to SQLite

Paulo van Breugel p.vanbreugel at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 04:38:27 EDT 2012

You can define the SQLite database yourself with db.connect. The
database does only contain the attribute data, no geometric information,
so you could define the same SQLite database for different mapsets and
even locations. I tried this actually out some time ago, and it worked
for me at the time. You can easily try out yourself, but see my next point.

Whether that is a smart thing to do is another point. Depending on how
you set up your GRASS database, you might end up having layers with the
same name in different mapsets or locations. In that case, you will run
into trouble; you can't have more then one table with the same name in
your SQLite database. I would therefore recommend having one SQLite
database per mapset. There are also plans for a SQLite database per
layer. I am not sure what would be the advantage of that though.

I am not sure about your second question, but GRASS 7 uses the SQLite
database by default.

Paulo