[GRASS-user] can't start from a BARRIER / Wildfire suite

Margherita Di Leo diregola at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 05:58:56 PDT 2012

Hi All,

I have some troubles running the Wildfire suite in grass. In particular,
when i run r.spread I get the following error message:

[...]
WARNING: can't start from a BARRIER at cell (416,305), request ignored
WARNING: can't start from a BARRIER at cell (417,305), request ignored
WARNING: can't start from a BARRIER at cell (418,305), request ignored
[...]

I checked the input and this is due to the fact that r.ros produces a
r.ros.base map which is all 0 and null.

r.info map=r_ros0.base
 | Layer:    r_ros0.base                    Date: Tue Aug 28 13:58:37 2012
   |
 | Mapset:   PERMANENT                      Login of Creator: leomarg
  |
 | Location: Europe
  |
 | DataBase: /home/leomarg/grassdata
   |
 | Title:     ( r_ros0.base )
  |
 | Timestamp: none

 |   Type of Map:  raster               Number of Categories: 0
  |
 |   Data Type:    CELL
  |
 |   Rows:         744
   |
 |   Columns:      889
   |
 |   Total Cells:  661416
  |
 |        Projection: Lambert Azimuthal Equal Area
   |
 |            N:    1903000    S:    1828600   Res:   100
  |
 |            E:    3433100    W:    3344200   Res:   100
  |
 |   Range of data:    min = 0  max = 0
  |

 |   Data Description:
   |
 |    generated by r.ros

So I checked the input of r.ros but i'm puzzled because everything looks
good to me, I can't see any obvious error. In the manual I read:

3. The output units for the base and maximum ROSes are in cm/minute rather
than ft/minute, which is due to that a possible zero ft/minute base ROS
value and a positive integer ft/minute maximum ROS would result in
calculation failure in the r.spread program.

So if I understand correctly, this can be due to a possible unit mismatch.
I give the velocity of wind in feet/minute and the direction in degrees, as
required by the manual.
Where am I wrong?

Thanks.

madi