[GRASS-user] i.landsat.toar unable to read metadata file

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Tue Dec 11 01:56:55 PST 2012

On 04/12/12 08:05, Balázs András (METLA) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using GRASS 7.0.svn (SVN Revision: 53972) in Windows 7 64-bit, trying to generate cloud masks for Landsat5 and 7 images acquired from USGS.
> For some reason i.landsat.toar gives me "Failed to identify satellite" error when I try to run it with the metadata file loaded. I'm able to load the contents of the metadata file to the viewer of the application, but apparently the tool can't find the required information.
>
> In the case above I've loaded the file * _MTLold.txt. If *_MTL.txt file is loaded, I got the following messages:
> WARNING: Unable to recognize satellite platform [0]
> ERROR: Failed to identify satellite
> Product date is 2012-10-09.

I've noticed that the MTL files have some form of binary info at the end
(last line). This keeps several text editors from opening these files.
When I open them in vi and erase the last line, everything is fine. I
don't know where that line comes from.

Maybe that's what's keeping the module from reading them correctly ?

Moritz