[GRASS-user] friendly hydrologic model for water availability

Massimiliano Cannata massimiliano.cannata at supsi.ch
Sun Dec 16 09:46:55 PST 2012

Dear Marcello,
You are right, for some reason, some of the code in the grass addons is not
present anymore.
Probably, the evapotranspiration module has been moved in the trunk (
i.evapo.pm, see http://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/i.evapo.pm.html)
Also the code for r.hydrofoss is missing (I don't know why...). I will put
on the server as soon as I will be back in the office.

By the way, If I correctly understand your goials, I don't think that
hydrofoss is suitable for your scope.
It is far away from being a simple and fast module to get a rough estimates
of water availability regarding a basin.
Probably, some concentrate module, can be most suitable: using less
parameters and being more tested.

The calibration, can be tricky and it has to be done in both the case, so
you need a sufficient number of observations regarding river discharge in
at least one point along the rivers (possible at basin closure point).
HEC-HMS could be one options (
http://www.hec.usace.army.mil/software/hec-hms/index.html,
http://www.hec.usace.army.mil/software/hec-hms/documentation/HEC-HMS_QuickStart_Guide_3.5.pdf
)

I would suggest (if you can understand italian) to take a look at this
http://www.hydro.unibo.it/teaching/IRI/slides/07_ModelliIdrologici.pdf to
get a better idea of the different types of hydrological models and scopes
of each of the existing types (see slide number 3).

Please, let me know if anything is needed. i will try to restore the old
page related to HydroFoss in the REDME file.

Best regards,
Maxi

2012/12/15 Marcello Benigno <benigno.marcello at gmail.com>

> Hi Markus,
>
>  I referred to the link that is inside the README
> <https://svn.osgeo.org/grass/grass-addons/grass6/HydroFOSS/README.txt>(
> http://istgis.ist.supsi.ch:8001/geomatica/index.php?id=1).
>
> Regards,
> --
> *Marcello Benigno B. de Barros Filho*
> Prof. do Curso Superior de Tecnologia em Geoprocessamento - IFPB
> Mestre em Ciências Geodésicas e Tecnologias da Geoinformação - UFPE
> Doutorando em Tecnologia Ambiental e Recursos Hídricos - UFPE
> http://profmarcello.blogspot.com
> http://about.me/marcello.benigno

Dr. Eng. Massimiliano Cannata
Responsabile Area Geomatica
Istituto Scienze della Terra
Scuola Universitaria Professionale della Svizzera Italiana
Via Trevano, c.p. 72
CH-6952 Canobbio-Lugano
Tel: +41 (0)58 666 62 14
Fax +41 (0)58 666 62 09