[GRASS-user] Calling GRASS command in multi-threads

Paul Meems bontepaarden at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 04:03:39 PST 2012

Hi list,

Last night my test script successfully finished processing my small area
and created a annual solar radiation raster.

I did a comparison with the solar radiation produced by ArcMap and noticed
its radiation is almost twice as high as the one produced by Grass.
Probably I'm not using the correct output files.
I'm using glob_rad from r.sun as my result. I will have a closer look why
this difference is happening.
If anyone can give me some pointers that would be must appreciated.

My real question today is how to speed up the process. My script took 7
hours to finish, but only used a fraction of the available resources. While
running the script (on Windows) only 30% of my quadcore CPU was used and
only 3GB of my 8GB RAM.
Since I'm looping on r.sun, calling it 365 times I was thinking of calling
it several times at once.
Is this possible? Calling r.sun 4 or 5 times at once will decrease the time
for the script to workable proportions.
Probably this is more of a Python question than a GRASS question but any
pointers would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Paul