[GRASS-user] r.drain problem when flow reach the border

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 03:16:58 PST 2012

On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 11:44 PM, Milton Cezar Ribeiro
<miltinho.astronauta at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Markus
>
> I am using this commands.
>
> r.cost -k input=friction_landuse_roads output=cost_map
> start_points=map_source_pt stop_points=map_target_pt --o
> r.drain input=cost_map output=drain_map vector_points=map_target_pt --o

r.drain in GRASS 6.4 does not work with cost surfaces generated with
the Knight's Move (r.cost -k). Actually, r.drain does not work at all
with cost surfaces in GRASS 6.4. You need the direction map together
with the cost surface, and this is only available in 6.5 and 7.

> I have not a direction map, and as for other source-target-friction
> maps everything works fine without direction map I thougth that this
> should work for all.

I doubt that it works fine if you do not use the direction map
generated by r.cost, because r.drain modifies the input surface if no
direction map is given, but for a cumulative cost surface these
modifications introduce errors.

> If you have the chance, please run the command and take a look that
> the drain line finish on right border.

I see. The output is correct with regard to the input cost surface
only if a direction map is used as indir input for r.drain.

I am going to backport r.cost/r.walk/r.drain from 6.5 to 6.4.

Happy new year,

Markus M