[GRASS-user] Calling GRASS command in multi-threads

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Mon Dec 31 03:24:16 PST 2012

Hi Paul,

On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 11:37 AM, Paul Meems <bontepaarden at gmail.com> wrote:
> I also noticed something about r.sun and OpenCL:
> http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/R.sun#OpenCL
> This page doesn't say if it is already implemented in the current version of
> GRASS. I do think I need to use GRASS7, am I right?
> I have a ATI Radeon HD 4800 with 4GB, this should speed up r.sun, right?

well, only if you compile that particularly modified r.sun/OpenCL version
which didn't make it so far into core GRASS.

It may be worthwhile to study OpenMP support for r.sun since it is
offered by the gcc compiler directly. Unfortunately OpenMP is a bit
tricky.

> I've looked at the download page of GRASS, but didn't see a GRASS7 installer
> for Windows. Isn't this available?

Ops, yes, it is: I have just added the missing link at

http://grass.osgeo.org/download/software/ms-windows/
-> SVN nightly winGRASS 7 experimental builds

Markus