[GRASS-user] Re: winGrass, ODBC and MS Access database

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Wed Feb 1 17:03:13 EST 2012

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 4:41 PM, Christine <geo.guide at web.de> wrote:
> Dear GRASS user list,
>
> tried to read a Microsoft Access database with GRASS 6.4.1 (installed with
> QGIS 1.7.0) on a Windows XP system. Now I get an error message "odbc.exe"
> when I try to use v.external, db.in.ogr or v.in.ogr. A data source name is
> created with the MS ODBC administrator.
>
> What I am wondering about is the error message. Searched for "odbc.exe" on
> my system and did not find one. But there is a "odbcad32.exe" instead.

Hi Christine,

I checked
http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/CompileOnWindows

and don't see any ODBC reference there. Nor I see it here
http://download.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/versions.html

Perhaps a wish request is needed at OSGeo4W?

> There seem to be some older attempts with ODBC connections to ORACLE. But as
> I also could not find any hint, that anybody succeeded in using ODBC
> database via OGR,  I suspect now, that this is not possible.

Generally yes,
http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Data_formats#ODBC
http://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/manuals/html64_user/grass-odbc.html

but you don't seem to have the ODBC driver compiled into
winGRASS yet...

Anyone having an idea?

Markus