[GRASS-user] Re: winGrass, ODBC and MS Access database

Christine geo.guide at web.de
Thu Feb 2 18:35:47 EST 2012

The access-database is not a personal geodatabase. It contains point
coordinates and it is no problem to read and visualize the data with QGIS or
gvSIG. Meanwhile I found odbc.exe manually in the QGIS/GRASS installation
folder. Curious thing, that Windows Explorer search does'nt find it ...

1. Connect to database (works):
db.connect --verbose driver=odbc database=Testdatenbank

2. Attempts to import Data of the database with
v.external --verbose dsn=Testdatenbank output=Testdaten layer=GWM
db.in.ogr --verbose dsn=Testdatenbank  db_table=MSSTAMM output=GWM key=OID
v.in.ogr --verbose dsn=Testdatenbank output=GWM

all fail. In all three cases a system error message occurs stating a problem
with odbc.exe and GRASS hangs. Python.exe also crashes or hangs.
Actually I am a newbie with GRASS GIS. Am I doing something wrong ?

Have saved error reports that should be send to Microsoft. Would that be
useful ?

Kind regards, Christine