[GRASS-user] Rotating/sizing labels based on DB column?

Asher Hoskins asher at piceur.com
Mon Feb 13 15:34:58 EST 2012

Hello.

I'm using some Ordnance Survey street-level Mastermap data which
implements street names, house numbers, etc. as map points linked to a
database containing the text to print, its size and its rotation.

I can produce basic map labels using v.label:

   v.label labels=xxx map=g26a column=textString layer=3 size=1.50

to get:

   http://www.piceur.com/misc/grass/non_rotated_text.png

Before I start hacking the label paint files myself (the format looks
nice and simple), is there a way to set size and rotation information on
a per-label basis? I'm aiming for a result that looks something like
this (rendered by the Edina Digimap service):

   http://www.piceur.com/misc/grass/digimap_render.png

The final map is to be the bottom layer of a stack of moderately
complicated information and so I'd like to be able to render it myself
in a simplified form rather than just importing tiles from the Ordnance
Survey.

Thanks,
Asher.