[GRASS-user] How to create polygon from two selected contour line

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sat Feb 25 13:52:39 EST 2012

The trick for many things in GRASS is to "think raster" instead of thinking vector.

Make a raster DEM from your map (if you don't already have one).

Query the raster (e.g., with r.mapcalc or r.reclass) to create a raster of elevations between your contour lines (e.g., in r.reclass the specification 1000 thru 1500 = 1).

Run r.to.vect on the queried map to turn it into an area.

Michael