[GRASS-user] Filling an Area Added to Vector Map

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Jan 11 15:02:42 EST 2012

On 01/11/2012 11:59 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   I've not done this before and my trial-and-error approach doesn't work. I
> need to add a reservoir to a stream system so I used the on-screen editing
> feature to digitize the area, then rebuilt the topology. But, despite
> having
> a fill color selected the new area is not filled.
>
>   I've attached a screenshot and the reservoir is the heavy-lined area near
> the center of the map.
>
>   What step(s) have I missed here? I need to have that area filled so the
> underlying stream channels are hidden, but it's the same blue color as the
> stream channels.
>
> TIA,
>
> Rich

In the GIS vector world you have points, lines and polygons. Typically
(in most) applications a single layer can only be 1 of the 3. What you
digitized is the outline of an area as a line feature. To make a
fillable polygon you can convert that or redigitize it in it's own
polygon layer.

These instructions are to achieve the visual look you describe, modeling
it as a reservoir for a network is a whole different story.

Enjoy,
Alex