[GRASS-user] GRASS GISDBASE and unison syncronization

Mark Seibel mseibel at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 14:18:13 EST 2012

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 1:43 PM, Kirk Wythers <wythe001 at umn.edu> wrote:

> On Jan 18, 2012, at 12:21 PM, Martin Landa wrote:
>

> yes, GISDBASE can be mounted remotely eg. via sshfs...
>

> Martin
>

> There you have it then. No need to keep anything synchronized. Just one
> file system (regular backups of course!), and no need to devote god know
> how much disk space to two copies of GISDBASE.

This is very interesting.

Typically I do this because my home machine is a 64bit workhorse, and the
other work machine is a 32bit dog.  So I do intensive CPU processing (lidar
filtering, DEM construction, watershed analysis) on the higher-powered
machine, using all local, faster hardware and 64bit OS.

If I left the GISDBASE at work on the 32 bit system, I would think the
64bit machine would not be at optimal performance working with data over a
DSL connection back to a 32bit old machine with far lower performing
hardware. (?)  For quick sessions I see sshfs as a nice solutions, but for
situations where the data is being processed for hours and hours, it seems
an optimal to run it all local on the 64bit fast machine. (?)

Nice to learn about the sshfs.  Thanks for the tip!

Mark

Any info would be helpful to understand the pros and cons, since I'm not a
hardware guy.