[GRASS-user] GRASS GISDBASE and unison syncronization

stephen sefick sas0025 at auburn.edu
Wed Jan 18 16:08:55 EST 2012

Many thanks for all of the wonderful help!  I don't mind using the
disk space - I have it...  I have very slow (<1mbs) DSL at my house,
so sshfs is suboptimal for me (I have tried it).  I am a PhD student
and don't have a speed upgrade in the budget.  Maybe I am using
suboptimal settings.  I have access to a remote server and my work
desktop over ssh;  maybe I am using suboptimal settings to sshfs?  I
am just making sure that these files are not going to screw anything
up.
kindest regards,

Stephen

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 1:18 PM, Mark Seibel <mseibel at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 1:43 PM, Kirk Wythers <wythe001 at umn.edu> wrote:
>>

>> On Jan 18, 2012, at 12:21 PM, Martin Landa wrote:
>

>> yes, GISDBASE can be mounted remotely eg. via sshfs...
>>

>> Martin
>>

>> There you have it then. No need to keep anything synchronized. Just one
>> file system (regular backups of course!), and no need to devote god know how
>> much disk space to two copies of GISDBASE.
>>

> This is very interesting.
>
> Typically I do this because my home machine is a 64bit workhorse, and the
> other work machine is a 32bit dog.  So I do intensive CPU processing (lidar
> filtering, DEM construction, watershed analysis) on the higher-powered
> machine, using all local, faster hardware and 64bit OS.
>
> If I left the GISDBASE at work on the 32 bit system, I would think the 64bit
> machine would not be at optimal performance working with data over a DSL
> connection back to a 32bit old machine with far lower performing hardware.
> (?)  For quick sessions I see sshfs as a nice solutions, but for situations
> where the data is being processed for hours and hours, it seems an optimal
> to run it all local on the 64bit fast machine. (?)
>
> Nice to learn about the sshfs.  Thanks for the tip!
>
> Mark
>
> Any info would be helpful to understand the pros and cons, since I'm not a
> hardware guy.

Stephen Sefick
____________________________________
| Auburn University                                   |
| Department of Biological Sciences           |
| 331 Funchess Hall                                  |
| Auburn, Alabama                                   |
| 36849                                                    |
| sas0025 at auburn.edu                             |
| http://www.auburn.edu/~sas0025             |

Let's not spend our time and resources thinking about things that are
so little or so large that all they really do for us is puff us up and
make us feel like gods.  We are mammals, and have not exhausted the
annoying little problems of being mammals.

                                -K. Mullis