[GRASS-user] v.generalize: strange behaviour on win?

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 26 14:53:47 EST 2012

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 11:03 AM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
> Hi all.
> Commands like:
>
> v.generalize input=province at Mapset_stefano type=area layer=1 -c
> type=boundary method=douglas threshold=100000 look_ahead=7
> reduction=50 slide=0.5 angle_thresh=3 degree_thresh=0
> closeness_thresh=0 betweeness_thresh=0 alpha=1.0 beta=1.0 iterations=1
> output=Province_general3
>
> on Linux go well, whereas on windows some of the features are not simplified: see
> https://int.faunalia.it/~paolo/generalize.zip
> for an example.
> Anyone confirms? Should I open a bug?

You would need to provide the input, not the output as an example.
Considering the detail of the output and the threshold used, it is no
surprise that not all boundaries were generalized because that would
break topology. If you want to generalize with a threshold of 100000,
I would recommend to first remove all areas with a size up to 100000.

Markus M