[GRASS-user] v.generalize: strange behaviour on win?

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 27 13:02:11 EST 2012

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 1:32 PM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
> Il 26/01/2012 20:53, Markus Metz ha scritto:
>
>> You would need to provide the input, not the output as an example.
>
> https://int.faunalia.it/~paolo/province.zip
>
>> Considering the detail of the output and the threshold used, it is no
>> surprise that not all boundaries were generalized because that would
>> break topology. If you want to generalize with a threshold of 100000,
>> I would recommend to first remove all areas with a size up to 100000.
>
> This is not the point. The very same input and command work in Linux, leave
> ungeneralized boundaries in Windows.

I tried v.generalize on the Province_general3 shapefile on Linux with
type=boundary method=douglas threshold=100000 and it did not modify
any boundaries. I also tried the input province shapefile and get the
same output. That is, if Province_general3 has been generated on
windows, I do get the same result on Linux, no difference between the
OS's. Are you using an older grass version on Linux?

Markus M