[GRASS-user] GRASS, ArcGIS, and Python incompatibilties

gene martin.laloux at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 01:00:41 PDT 2012

Michael Barton wrote

> Does this mean that we no longer *have* to bundle wxPython with the Mac
> binaries? That they will work with whatever wxPython is installed
> (assuming it is within the range of supported versions, of course)
> regardless of what it was compiled with?

it would be easy but no, because wxPython is not a pure Python library (only
with Python files). It use wxWidgets (C++ library)

> *Be sure to use the same version of Python to run the script that you
> would like to use the wxPython binaries with*

from  http://wxpython.org/builddoc.php http://wxpython.org/builddoc.php

The Mac OS X version, for example, is only available in 32-bit mode because
WxWidgets probably uses Carbon library, which is not available in  64-bit
mode. "This, in turn, means that using it in Python requires you to launch
Python in 32-bit mode (Python is a universal binary with both 32-bit and
64-bit versions of itself available in the same binary file, so it can be
launched in either mode) from
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2565201/wxpython-incompatible-with-snow-leopard
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2565201/wxpython-incompatible-with-snow-leopard
)

If you look at the downloads of the binaries of wxPython, there are also
versions for Windows 32bits, and Windows 64bits for example
see also  http://wiki.wxpython.org/TentativeRoadmap
http://wiki.wxpython.org/TentativeRoadmap
It may be that the problem, but if we don't know the error message...